Augmented reality is coming to Salem Maritime

Augmented Reality image Boston Cyberarts

The Augmented Landscape at Salem Maritime National Historic Site, Boston Cyberarts

Things are about to get virtually interesting at Salem Maritime National Historic Site!

Boston Cyberarts has commissioned four internationally acclaimed artists–John Craig Freeman, Kristin Lucas, Will Pappenheimer and Tamiko Thiel–to create 8 Augmented Reality (AR) sculptures for The Augmented Landscape, an outdoor exhibition that will take place at Salem Maritime National Historic Site.

Augmented reality is computer-generated sound, video or graphics that are layered into a real-world environment. Sited throughout the park, either on the land and or in Salem harbor, the sculptures will be positioned via GPS, each in a specific place on the Salem campus, and viewable by using the augmented reality application Layar (free for iOS and Android) on a smartphone or tablet.

The National Park Service will have printed maps available for visitors that include the site of each piece, an image, artists’ information, title of the work and how to download the app to view the work. The information will also be available online, at the Boston Cyberarts and NPS websites. The NPS will have tablets or smartphones available for checkout. Visits to the site are free to the public.

The Augmented Landscape is supported in part by a $10,000 Art Works matching grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, and funds from the Salem Cultural Council.

The free exhibition will open to the public on Saturday, May 27, and remain on view through November 30, 2017.

 

FAME’s Visit to Sail Boston Recalls Tumultuous War of 1812

by Capt. Michael Rutstein

Although the Salem-based schooner FAME is one of the smaller vessels attending next month’s Sail Boston event, she has a fascinating connection to Boston’s history.

FAME is a replica of a Salem privateer of the same name from the War of 1812. During the war, Salem — then a major seaport and a serious rival to Boston — sent out over 40 privateers to attack British merchant shipping. In Boston, however, many influential shipowners opposed the war. Instead of sending out privateers, they carried on illegal trade with the British.

After Congress acted in 1813 to criminalize this trading with the enemy, Salem privateers such as FAME took it on themselves to police Boston Harbor. They would chase down and search inbound ships for evidence that they had been smuggling. In August of 1813, FAME and another Salem privateer (tellingly named CASTIGATOR) stopped an incoming Boston brig called the DISPATCH and concluded that she had been trading in British ports. They put a prize crew on board and began to convey the vessel into Boston to be impounded.

However, members of the brig’s crew escaped and rowed themselves quickly up to town, where they located the brig’s owner, Boston merchant Cornelius Coolidge. Coolidge was incensed to hear that his brig had been seized by privateers. He gathered a score of men armed with muskets and set off in two large rowboats to free the DISPATCH. Soon, a firefight had broken out in the middle of Boston Harbor between the prize crew, the privateer schooners, and Coolidge’s armed boats. The battle was only ended by the intervention of the Federal garrison at Fort Independence.

After a sensational trial in which no less than three witnesses were charged with perjury, DISPATCH was awarded to the privateers as lawful prize.

It was a victory for Salem and her mariners, and the smugglers of Boston were suitably “castigated”. But the decades after the war saw a steady movement of talent and capital from Salem to Boston, which has ever since reigned as the chief port and economic center of Massachusetts.

A fleet of international Tall Ships is sailing into Boston this month in the largest gathering of its kind in 17 years. The festival-opening Parade of Sail happens on Saturday, June 17. Many of the ships will be open for boarding in Boston June 18-21. The fleet departs Boston on June 22, bound for a starting line off Gloucester. From that point, they will race to Nova Scotia.

FAME, which is based at Salem’s Pickering Wharf Marina, will participate in the Parade on the 17th and offers round trips from Salem to Boston each day of Sail Boston 2017. She’ll also be sailing out to watch the start of the race on the 22nd.

Tickets are available at SchoonerFame.com.

“Ocean Liners: Glamour, Speed, and Style” at the Peabody Essex Museum

 

F. Earl for Henri Fichon, Paris, Design for a poster for the White Star Line and Moet & Chandon, about 1912, oil on canvas. Museum purchase, 2014.13.1. Photo by Kathy Tarantola.

Ocean Liners: Glamour, Speed, and Style, the latest exhibition at the Peabody Essex Museum, details the design and technical sides of these grand vessels while also placing them into an international cultural narrative. In collaboration with the Victoria and Albert Museum, London (V&A), this event is the first of its kind as previous exhibits have focused on ocean liners, but none have taken into consideration their legacy across different nations.

PEM was founded by sea captains and merchant traders in 1799, and in addition to the various pieces brought to Salem during the 18th and 19th centuries, the museum has been collecting works related to ocean liners since the 1870s. Continuing in this maritime tradition, Ocean Liners: Glamour Speed, and Style takes guests on a voyage from the elegant ocean liners to contemporary cruise ships and everything in between.

Among the pieces shown in the exhibit, guests may expect to see brightly colored posters originally used during advertising campaigns in the early 20th century to change public beliefs that ocean travel was luxurious and elegant rather than grimy and unsafe. Other pieces include models of well-known ocean liners like the Queen Elizabeth (pictured below), and decorative elements from a variety of ocean liner models and time periods.

Basset-Lowke Ltd., Model of Queen Elizabeth, 1947-48, white mahogany, gunmetal, and brass. Gift of Cunard Line Ltd., 1970, M14220. © 2016 Peabody Essex Museum. Photography by Kathy Tarantola.

Ocean Liners: Glamour, Speed, and Style gives insight into the rising the rise of ocean travel as an opulent pastime while also showing open models, paperwork, and pieces of engines to portray what took place behind the scenes to make such grand travel possible. Despite companies having the technological abilities to design even faster ships, displayed in the exhibit by portions of engines and mechanical frameworks, speed was often sacrificed for comfort to further entice guests to come aboard for the ultimate leisure travel experience.

The exhibit goes on to show how other artistic elements produced onboard impacted their counterparts on land, concepts that are particularly evident when viewing cruise-wear, elegant high fashion dresses and tuxedos, and up and coming interior design ideas.

PEM hosts the Opening Day Deep Dive event to kick off the exhibit on May 20, 2017 from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. During this event guests may view vintage trunks and additional models in the museum’s atrium, create their own luggage stickers, play shuffleboard, and more: Click here to view the complete event schedule. Ocean Liners: Glamour, Speed, and Style will be on view at PEM through October 9, 2017, and more information about the exhibit is available at PEM.org.

Zagster Bike Share comes to Salem

Zagster bike launch Salem MAZagster and the City of Salem has just launched a new “on-demand” bike share service that is going to be a terrific resource for residents, commuters, and visitors who want to explore the city. The Salem Bike Share has 18 cruiser bikes available across three stations: Federal Street at Washington Street (near the MBTA), Front Street/Derby Square, and Blaney Street/Salem Ferry.  Zagster bikes have a built-in bike lock which allows users to ride the bike as long as they want and stop wherever they want along the way and lock the bike. Bikes need to return to any Zagster-Salem station at the end of a ride.

Using the Zagster-Salem Bike Share is easy. Bikes are accessible at any station via the Zagster Mobile App – available for iPhone and Android – or online at bike.Zagster.com/Salem.

Step 1: Use the Zagster app to unlock a bike at a station.Zagster bike share bikes in salem MA
Step 2: Enjoy your ride!
Step 3: When you are ready to end your trip, bring the bike back to any Zagster station and press the lock button to end the ride.

Ridership is possible through two options:
Option 1: Hourly Rate ($3.00/hour).
Option 2: Annual Membership ($25/year or $10 with promotional code BIKESALEM through August 2017). Annual memberships provide unlimited rides with the first hour free. Additional hourly fees apply for longer rides.

Salem’s bike share features the Zagster 8, an award-winning bike known for its practical design, comfortable riding, and easy handling. The bike includes a spacious front basket that’s perfect for carrying shopping bags or personal belongings. As rider safety is a priority, every bike includes automatic lights, a bell, and full reflectors. Riders must be 18 years or older. Please obey traffic laws, wear a helmet, and be a safe rider.

Zagster

The Maritime Fan’s Guide to Salem, MA

With the sailing season is just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to start planning a maritime fan’s visit to Salem, Massachusetts. Most known for the tragic events of 1692, Salem’s maritime trade has also greatly impacted the region we know today. During the summer months, maritime fans can even start experiencing Salem by water before arriving in town via the Salem Ferry from Boston.

Accommodations

The Salem Waterfront Hotel and Suites is located adjacent to the Pickering Wharf Marina, which houses both sail boats and power boats up to 55 feet in length. With amenities like a swimming pool, fitness center, and full service restaurant, this hotel is a wonderful option for maritime fans looking for a contemporary Salem getaway.

A short (and scenic) walk from both Pickering Wharf and the Salem Ferry is Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast. This historic Georgian Federal style building was built in 1808 and today features amenities like complimentary transportation between the Salem Ferry and MBTA Commuter Rail, breakfast, and a roof-top deck with beautiful ocean views.

To RV or tent-camp by the water, consider staying at Winter Island Park. Open seasonally from May 20 to November 1, Winter Island features a public beach, lighthouse, and a historic fort.

Attractions

The Salem Maritime National Historic Site is home to historic homes, lighthouses, and a ship that represent the site’s mission to preserve Salem’s maritime history. Visit the site to learn about the merchant vessels that helped grow Salem’s economy, take a tour of the Derby or Narbonne House, or explore the Derby Wharf Lighthouse. The site is also home to the Friendship of Salem, a replica of the original tall ship launched in 1797. Currently in drydock, the Friendship will be open for tours on a seasonal basis when she returns to Salem later this year.

Nearby the Salem Maritime National Historic Site is Pickering Wharf Marina, which includes docks for Schooner FAME and Mahi Cruises. Schooner FAME is a replica of the 1812 privateer Fame that is open for public sails during the season (beginning May 13). Mahi Cruises features a variety of excursions from sunset cruises, to Sunday brunches and even a live music series in the summer. Also open seasonally, Mahi Cruises kicks off the 2017 sailing season with a sunset cruise on May 12.

To get even closer to the ocean and the creatures that live there, walk down Blaney Street and sail with Sea Shuttle aboard the Catamaran Endeavor. While out on the water, touch live sea creatures and learn about their habitats in Sea Shuttle’s onboard aquarium. Additionally Sea Shuttle offers optional pickups and drop-offs at Misery Island, and runs on a seasonal basis beginning May 13.

Maritime fans may also access Bakers Island through a boat tour with Essex Heritage run seasonally beginning in June. While there guests may view the exterior of Bakers Island Lighthouse, which is an 1820 reconstruction built in place of the original 1791 light station. Essex Heritage also offers exclusive overnight stays at the lighthouse for members only. For more information on overnights and other member events visit EssexHeritage.org.

More inland from many of Salem’s maritime attractions is the Peabody Essex Museum, which was founded by sea captains in 1799. Today, the museum is the oldest continually operated museum in the country, and features pieces of art brought to Salem by merchants who have travelled all over the world. Additionally, the Museum’s latest exhibition Ocean Liners: Glamour, Speed, and Style will be open from May 20 to October 9.

Tours

To learn more about Salem’s maritime history, take to the water with Mahi Cruises for a narrated sightseeing tour. Consider coming back during leaf peeping season and embark on Mahi’s lighthouse and foliage cruise in the fall. For a taste of Salem’s past on land, learn about the spice trade during a Salem Food Tour, which includes information on maritime history and tastings at local shops and restaurants.

Restaurants

Dine by the water in Pickering Wharf, with restaurants that are sure to please the tastes of any maritime fan. Take in views of the harbor at Sea Level Oyster Bar & Kitchen, Finz Seafood & Grill, or Victoria Station & Vic’s Boathouse. For a casual dining experience just a few more steps from the harbor, kick back at Brodie’s Seaport, Longboards Restaurant & Bar, and the Regatta Pub at the Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites.

Shopping

For the ultimate maritime shopping experience, don’t miss some of the most nautical shops in Pickering Wharf. Joe’s Fresh Fish Prints includes handmade Gyotaku fish prints created with locally caught fish, and the shop even hosts classes for guests to create their own unique prints.

A different kind of maritime shop may be found at Ocean Chic Boutique, which features a refreshing waterbar and popular beachy clothing brands like Vineyard Vines and unique local favorites. Ocean Chic has also recently introduced a men’s collection available both in-store and online.

While in Pickering Wharf, guests may purchase scrimshaw gifts from RJ Coins and Jewelry for unique scrimshaw gifts along with fashion jewelry, rare coins, and more.

Back at the Salem National Maritime Site, plan on visiting Waite and Peirce to shop authentic and exotic goods specially crafted based on Salem’s spice trade history. The shop is home to reproduction historical goods, and locally made maritime themed goods like Waite and Peirce’s exclusive clothing line and tote bags from Sea Bags of Maine constructed out of recycled sails.

National Doctors Day in Salem, MA

One of Salem’s earliest known physicians was Samuel Fuller, who arrived in the area then known as Naumkeag in 1629. Captain Endicott took notice of the sickness facing the settlers in Salem, and wrote to the Governor William Bradford to request that a doctor be sent to Salem. Governor Bradford upon receipt of this request sent Dr. Samuel Fuller from Plymouth Colony to Salem in hopes that he would be able to help.

While in Salem, Dr. Fuller was tasked with providing medical care for a number of settlers who all appeared to be suffering from a similar illness. The settlers who had recently arrived in the colony found themselves even more prone to sickness due to their recent crossing from Europe. During these kinds of long voyages, colonists were often crammed into close and unsanitary quarters, with very limited access to foods containing ingredients that are necessary for good health, like Vitamin C.

One likely sickness the colonists experienced due to the lack of Vitamin C in their diets was scurvy, which brought on symptoms like fatigue, weakness, and soreness of the limbs. Those dealing with scurvy would find it extremely difficult to cope with the amount of physical labor that was required of them when arriving in the colony.

Tim Maguire of Salem Night Tour

Though unrelated to his medical work, Captain Endicott noted that Dr. Samuel Fuller’s assistance in Salem allowed for a better understanding between Pilgrims and Puritans, who differed in their religious beliefs and reasoning for traveling to the colony. Puritans sought for a more rigid, “purified” version of the Church of England, while Pilgrims viewed themselves as separate from the Church altogether.

There is little record of Samuel Fuller that suggests why or how he became a physician, however we do know that he was eventually named the “official physician” of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. After treating patients in Salem, Dr. Fuller was requested in Charlestown, where he assisted colonists there who were experiencing similar symptoms.

Today, one of Samuel Fuller’s descendants is still working in Salem. Samuel Fuller is a 12th great uncle to Tim Maguire Jr., who you may spot during your visit to Salem if you embark on a Salem Night Tour or visit Remember Salem at 127 Essex Street.

Another Notable Salem Doctor

In 1692 Dr. William Griggs was called upon to examine the girls who were believed to be afflicted with witchcraft. Upon reviewing their symptoms, he determined there was no medical explanation for what was happening, and that a more powerful entity, like witchcraft, was to blame for their behavior, thus beginning the Salem Witch Hysteria.

Five Remarkable Women of Salem

March is Women’s History Month, and we’re celebrating the women who have contributed to Salem’s history over the years.  This year, 2017, we live in a Salem that has a woman at the helm, Mayor Kim Driscoll; a woman in the State House, Senator Joan Lovely; a woman as the head of the Salem school district, Superintendent Margarita Ruiz; the first woman Chief of Police, Chief Mary Butler; and President Patricia Meservey is leading Salem State University into the future.  Salem is a community that nurtures and encourages strong women.

It is only fitting, as we make history going forward, that we acknowledge and celebrate the women in Salem’s past. This weekend, there will be programs at the House of the Seven Gables, Phillips House Museum, and more.

Five remarkable women have already been named here, and they are the women who are actively building Salem’s future.  Here are four women in Salem’s history whose stories we tell often:

Mary Spencer created the Gibralter, believed to be America’s first commercially produced candy, which is still sold at Ye Olde Pepper Companie.

Caroline Emmerton purchased the House of the Seven Gables, turned it into a museum, and use the profits from the museum to fund her Settlement House, which provided training for immigrant girls, boys, and adults.

Elizabeth Peabody opened the first Kindergarten in America.

Bessie Phillips establish the Stephen Philips Memorial Trust House as a museum to be enjoyed by all, which today is part of Historic New England and the only home on Chestnut Street that is open to the public.

The thirteen innocent women who were hanged during the Salem Witch Trials, accused of practicing witchcraft, are perhaps the inspiration for many of the bright and strong women who have led Salem ever since. We remember Bridget Bishop, Martha Carrier, Martha Corey, Mary Easty, Sarah Good, Dorcas Hoar, Elizabeth Howe, Susannah Martin, Rebecca Nurse, Alice Parker, Mary Parker, Ann Pudeator, Margaret Scott, and Sarah Wildes.

For more information on the historic women of Salem, explore the Salem Women’s History Trail.

Irish History in Salem, MA

St. Patrick’s Day may be over, but there are still plenty of ways to learn about Irish history in Salem, Massachusetts. Take a tour of the Phillips House, where many Irish immigrants have been employed by the Phillips family, or visit The House of the Seven Gables this May for a new live performance based on the life of Irish Catholic indentured servant, Joan Sullivan.

The Phillips House
During the early 20th century, the Phillips family employed a number of Irish servants at their home on Chestnut Street. Like many servants at the time, most of the servants the Phillipses hired were young, white, single females who were either immigrants themselves or first generation Americans.

By 1919, the Phillips House servant quarters were home to three Irish women and a couple of Irish men. The women lived in the servants’ quarters, located on the third floor of the family’s home, while the men lived off the property often with their own wives and families.

The women often took on roles within the home, sometimes caring for children as was the case for Catherine Shaughnessy who was a nursemaid to Stephen Phillips. As Stephen eventually moved out of the home to attend boarding school, Catherine, or “Catty,” continued to work for the Phillips family for 52 years as an assistant and maid.

Men at the Phillips House performed roles outside the home, as was the case for Patrick O’Hara who served as the family’s chauffeur. Patrick was responsible for not only driving the Phillips’ family vehicle but also for its care and upkeep.

Guests may tour the Phillips House between 11:00 am and 4:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays through May 27. June 1 through October 31 the Phillips House is open for tours Tuesday through Saturday. Tours begin every half hour with the last tour at 4:00 pm.

The House of the Seven Gables
The House of the Seven Gables will be introducing a theatrical tavern experience in May called: I Am Joan Sullivan. This experience will give visitors a chance to learn about Joan Sullivan, the Irish Catholic indentured servant of merchant John Turner, who built The House of the Seven Gables in 1668, and her new master, turbulent Quaker merchant Thomas Maule, as she sues for her freedom from his alleged abuse.

I am Joan Sullivan will explore the trials of a young immigrant woman with little to no agency in America where she was considered a second class citizen because of her ethnicity, gender, and faith, long before the immigrant struggle of the 19th and 20th centuries that inspired The Gables’ founder, Caroline Emmerton, in her original settlement mission. For tickets ($10-17) and information, visit www.7gables.org.

Pet Friendly Salem, MA

Planning a visit to Salem, MA with your entire family (pets included)? There are plenty of ways to experience Salem with your pet, from pet-friendly hotel rooms to outdoor dining opportunities. Click here for a complete list of pet-friendly locations around Salem.

Accommodations
Many of Salem’s hotels and inns welcome guests traveling with pets. Please note that fees vary by each location, and pet friendly rooms are based on availability.

The Hawthorne Hotel offers pet friendly rooms on the building’s 6th floor. A stay includes complimentary toys for guests’ dogs, and a specially crafted Doggy Room Service menu designed by the Hawthorne Hotel’s executive chef.

Pets are also welcome in select rooms at the Salem Inn, and the Stepping Stone Inn where guests may take advantage of dog walking services for an additional fee.

Guests planning to camp in Salem can bring pets to Winter Island Park which is open from May 20 to November 1.

Attractions & Tours
Well-behaved pets are able to join their humans on some of Salem’s walking tours included Bewitched After Dark Walking Tours and Spellbound Tours. Dogs can also learn about Salem’s history and get around town aboard the Salem Trolley and Mahi Cruises.

Belle and Tipper Salem 2011_Barb Swartz

Belle and Tipper, Image: Barb Swartz.

Shopping
Coon’s Cards & Gifts is home to Penelope’s Pet Boutique, which stocks collars, toys, tags, and treats for their furry friends. Pets may also visit New England Dog Biscuit Company, which bakes natural dog biscuits right in the shop and carries other natural treats and food, toys, collars/leashes, and more for both cats and dogs.

Pets are also welcome in some shops around town, like RJ Coins and Jewelry where guests with friendly pets may browse products like the Dog Fever and Cat Fever hug rings. Other local businesses may place water bowls outside their entrances to keep pets hydrated while they enjoy Salem with their families.

Dining
Local restaurants with outdoor dining spaces may allow pets to join their guests on patios. Flying Saucer Pizza Company, Gulu-Gulu Café, Village Tavern, and Victoria Station and Vic’s Boathouse all welcome pets in their patio dining areas. Village Tavern can also provide a puppy friendly menu and beef infused water.

Walking Locations
Some favorite dog walking spots in Salem include: Derby Wharf, Forest River Park, Salem Common, Salem Willows, and Winter Island Park. Remember to obey local leash laws and pick up after your pet while going for walks. Be sure to bring your pet’s proper identification and proof of Rabies vaccination while traveling, and follow posted regulations when walking along beaches.

10th Annual Salem Film Fest

Salem Film Fest is one of the largest documentary film festivals in New England, and it has been featuring exceptional works of film for the past ten years. This year’s event will showcase over fifty documentaries and shorts between March 2-9.

Films are chosen to be a part of Salem Film Fest based on their technical and artistic grandeur and their abilities to incite new interests and responses from the audience. Additionally, two out of three filmmakers involved in producing the works shown during Salem Film Fest attend related events and speaking engagements throughout the week.

Salem Film Fest begins tomorrow evening with the event’s opening gala at the Hawthorne Hotel. The gala will celebrate the accomplishments of Salem Film Fest in New England, and honor David Fanning, Founder and Executive Producer at Large of FRONTLINE. David will be in attendance to receive the Salem Film Fest Storyteller Award.

Proceeds from the opening gala will be used to support Salem Film Fest, an organization which is maintained entirely by volunteers who have passions for documentary filmmaking.

This year’s Film Fest will present a variety of topics. From After Spring, which follows two families as they search for a permanent home from their temporary stay at a refugee camp in Jordan, to First Lady of the Revolution, which portrays the fascinating life of Henrietta Boggs, the Alabama native who eventually becomes First Lady of Costa Rica. The complete schedule of films and events may be viewed at SalemFilmFest.com/2017/Schedule.

Films will be shown at the Morse Auditorium at the Peabody Essex Museum, CinemaSalem, and the Salem Regional Visitors Center. Tickets are $11-13 per film, and may be purchased online in advance through the Salem Film Fest website.

In addition to the films, Salem Film Fest includes film after parties, lectures, five-minute student film contests, and live music. Complete event schedules for Salem Film Fest are available online at SalemFilmFest.com.

Celebrate National Margarita Day in Salem, MA

Looking to celebrate #NationalMargaritaDay in Salem, Massachusetts? Luckily there are plenty of spots around the city serving cool, refreshing margaritas all-year-round.

Classics
For classic margaritas by the waterfront, look no further than Pickering Wharf where The Regatta Pub at the Salem Waterfront Hotel and Suites serves up a Frozen Blue Margarita made with Jose Cuervo, Blue Curacao, fresh lime and blueberries. For another blueberry option, walk just around the corner from the hotel to Sea Level Oyster Bar & Kitchen to try the Blueberry Mistletoe Margarita, a mix of Agavales Tequila, Triple Sec, lime juice, blueberries, basil, simple syrup, and topped with a splash of 888 Blueberry Vodka.

In search of raspberry instead? Try Brodie’s Seaport’s Raspberry Margarita with Cuervo Silver Tequila, Combier Orange Liqueur, agave syrup, raspberry purée, a splash of cranberry, fresh lime juice & sour.

Wicked Margarita, from the Hawthorne Hotel

Prefer citrus to berries? Victoria Station & Vic’s Boathouse have you covered with the Blood Orange Margarita, a tasty mix of Olmeca Altos Tequila, Triple Sec, Blood Orange Juice and fresh lime juice. Howling Wolf Taqueria on the corner of Lafayette and Derby Streets can also help with your citrus craving. Their margarita menu includes La Chupacabra featuring 1800 Silver, Triple Sec, blood orange puree, and a house made fusion.

Also in Pickering Wharf enjoy a classic lime margarita at Longboards Restaurant and Bar, or at Victoria Station & Vic’s Boathouse with a tequila of your choice, Triple Sec, agave, lime juice, orange juice, topped with lemonade, or try Finz Seafood and Grill’s Defa Rita, made with Don Julio Silver Tequila, Cointreau, fresh watermelon, lemon, and lime juice.

Can’t decide on a flavor? Howling Wolf Taqueria has a variety of flavors to choose from including mango, strawberry, blood orange, passion fruit, peach, and pomegranate. Also on the menu is the Skinny Marg, a lower calorie take on a classic lime margarita made with Avion Silver, agave nectar, orange bitters, fresh squeezed lime juice, and topped with soda water.

For a classic margarita closer to Salem Common, try the Wicked Margarita at the Hawthorne Hotel served at both the Tavern on the Green and Nat’s restaurants. The Wicked Margarita is crafted with Pueblo Viejo Tequila 100% Agave, and other flavors of your choice, and can be served in a traditional version or a “beach ready” (light) version. For more margaritas in the downtown area, try Village Tavern in the Museum Place Mall, or Rockafellas on Washington Street.

The Ghost Eater and The Wild Gunman, from Bit Bar

Veggie-infused
For a twist on a classic margarita recipe, try a veggie infused margarita from Opus on Washington Street. Opus offers both the Spinario made with Carrot infused tequila, skinos, aperol, black pepper vodka, lemon, ginger, and the Star People with Carrot tequila, blood orange black tea aperol, grapefruit, toasted pecan bitters.

For a margarita with an extra kick, check out some of Salem’s best pepper-infused margaritas. Opus is also home to the Trance Manual which serves up the spice using Habanero Tequila, Ghost Chili Mezcal, pomegranate, Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao, cinnamon simple, Aztec chocolate, and angostura bitters. While visiting the Hawthorne Hotel, upgrade your Wicked Margarita to a Wicked Hot Margarita with Tanteo Tequila 100% Agave Infused with Jalapeño.

For a peppery take on a margarita and some classic video games take a walk down Saint Peter Street to Bit Bar for the Ghost Eater. A spicy nod to PAC-MAN, this drink is made with Ghost Pepper-infused tequila, Triple Sec, lemon, lime, pineapple, and lemon/lime soda.

From Derby or Lafayette Street, Howling Wolf Taqueria brings the spice with the Jalepeño Margarita featuring El Jimador Reposado, Triple Sec, fresh lime, muddled jalapeno, agave, and orange bitters. Also on the menu is the Spice Mango Margarita with Don Julio Blanco, Triple Sec, mango juice, Tapatio hot sauce, and wolf fusion topped with lemon/lime soda.

Back on Pickering Wharf, Finz serves up a spicy jalepeño flavor in their Coral Reef, a mix of 1800 Silver tequila, blood orange puree, St. Elder liquer, lemon and lime juice, and muddled jalepeño.

Finished with cinnamon
If you prefer your margaritas come with a dash of cinnamon, downtown Salem has you covered. Bit Bar serves the Wild Gunman, made with Tequila, Short Path Triple Cec, cranberry juice, lemon, lime, and honey with cinnamon sugar rim. Rockafellas is home to the Spiced Cider Margarita featuring Milagro Silver Tequila, Grand Marnier, fresh lemon juice and apple cider, garnished with a cinnamon stick and a sprinkle of cinnamon

Another take on a classic margarita using cinnamon is found back at Howling Wolf Taqueria. The Apple Cinnamon Marg is made with Juarez Gold, Apple Pucker, Fireball, a splash of cranberry, and a cinnamon rim.

Alternating drinks between water and alcohol is always a good idea, as is snacking while tasting margaritas. Wherever you celebrate #NationalMargaritaDay in Salem, be sure to drink responsibly.

Singles Awareness Day in Salem, MA

How does one celebrate #SinglesAwarenessDay in Salem, Massachusetts? By remembering some of our most famous singles from Salem’s history of course. Whether by choice (or not), religious preference, or even sabotage, Salem has seen its share of notable singles over the years:

Reverend William Bentley (1759 – 1819) was someone who today we may refer to as a gossiper, or at the very least a nosy neighbor. Local historians have numerous accounts from his diary which include candid entries where he recorded very opinionated views of his neighbors and events around town. His diary makes note of everything from what the weather was like on any given day, to which of the townspeople had died and how, to his various opinions on the businesses of others around him. Aside from his famed diary, Reverend Bentley is most well-known for his work as the pastor of the East Church from 1783. He was a progressive theologian for the time, who also influential in leading the development of Unitarianism in New England, and in allowing the East Church to promote both political and religious liberalism in Salem.

Susanna Ingersoll, from the The House of the Seven Gables’ collection.

Susanna Ingersoll (1783 – 1858) was born and raised in the historical house we know as the House of the Seven Gables. Susanna inherited a good deal of money and property, including the house, upon the death of her mother in 1811. Susanna proved herself to be extraordinarily astute when it came to business matters. During the war of 1812 when British ships were patrolling off of the coast, ships that Susanna most likely could have spied from her upstairs windows, the new nation attempted to weather its first military conflict. During the years of the war, from 1812 – 1815, when people along the coast were fleeing the threatening British, Susanna purchased an unprecedented 17 properties. By the time of her death at the age of 72, Susanna had purchased, mortgaged, and sold well over 70 properties making her the wealthiest land-rich female in New England. In the 1840s Susanna was determined to be worth $250,000.00, an enormous sum at that time which would translate to several million dollars in today’s values. Wealthy, propertied, and secure in her social status, she was truly one of Salem’s notable women and as she was identified in all of her legal documents, she was Susanna Ingersoll, Singlewoman.

Mary Crowninshield Silbee (1809 – 1887), the daughter of Senator Nathaniel Silsbee grew up in Salem on Daniels Street. Mary was rumored to have been engaged to Nathaniel Hawthorne after she had a portrait painted depicting her with a mysterious hunter who resembled the author. Sophia Peabody, who later married Hawthorne, threatened to “put Miss Mary out of the window” in a letter to her sister, and Hawthorne’s involvement with Mary ended soon thereafter. Though Sophia suffered from crippling headaches, which at first prevented her from marrying, her relationship with Nathaniel Hawthorne moved along much quicker once Mary was no longer an issue.

Mary Crowninshield Silbee. Portrait by Francis Alexander, part of the Harvard Art Museums’ collection.

Frederick Townsend Ward (1831 – 1862) was a Salem-born sailor and military commander whose troops supported the Qing Dynasty during the Taiping Rebellion. He left Salem at the age of 15 when he travelled to Mexico hoping to participate in the war going on there. Shortly after this, he began taking up odd jobs on various ships and countries across the globe before ultimately settling in Shanghai where he was asked to lead a group in the Rebellion. During the Taiping Rebellion, Ward and his troops celebrated numerous victories in their battles overseas and they eventually became known as The Ever Victorious Army. Ward makes our list of Salem’s singles due to his unfortunate death in battle: After suffering (and overcoming) 14 previous injuries, a shot to the abdomen in 1862 ultimately caused the commander’s death.

Rose Hawthorne Lathrop (1851 – 1926), the daughter of Nathaniel Hawthorne and Sophia Peabody, was briefly married to George Parsons Lathrop. After their separation, Rose began to help terminally ill cancer patients who did not have the financial means to pay for treatment. Rose ensured her legacy when she became Mother Mary Alphonsa and founded an order of nuns based on the medical work she had started. Today the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne, now based in Hawthorne, NY continue to help terminally ill patients who cannot afford their medical care.

Caroline Emmerton (1866 – 1942) was the founder of The House of the Seven Gables Settlement Association. In 1908, she purchased the Turner-Ingersoll Mansion and spent two years renovating the home into a museum. When the museum opened in 1910 she used proceeds from admissions to support settlement work and other programs for newly arriving immigrant families. Some of the settlement house programs she started included medical clinics, citizenship classes, English language classes, and sewing to assist new citizens. The Gables continues to offer educational programming today, and currently holds the distinction of being both a museum and a settlement house, the only organization of its kind in the United States. Miss Emmerton never married and dedicated her entire life to service and philanthropy in Salem.

Salem, MA, House of the Seven Gables

Salem.org