Destination Salem Blog
With summer officially here and beach weather upon us, spending the day by the water is ideal. In Salem, you can shop, dine and stay right by the water and still be close to everything else Salem has to offer you. With amazing views, great food and shopping, what more could you ask for?
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites is an award winning hotel located right by the water. Enjoy dining at the Regatta Pub, the indoor pool and exercise room and be within walking distance of Salem’s historic attractions.
If you favor staying at a bed & breakfast, but still want to stay right by the water, Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast has you covered. Just steps from Salem Harbor and the House of the Seven Gables, this b&b offers private bathrooms, breakfast and a roof deck with ocean views to make your stay memorable.
Pickering Wharf offers up 20 unique shops and 6 fabulous restaurants with the ocean as its neighbor. Take a stroll through the wharf and shop, dine and unwind for a fantastic time. On the first Friday of each month, there are exclusive specials and treats making a great way to spend your day.
Right beside Pickering Wharf is the Salem Maritime National Historic Site where you can tour the tall ship Friendship of Salem, the U.S. Custom House or The Narbonne and the Derby Houses. For self-guided tours, an audio tour and map is available to tour Salem’s historic waterfront at your own leisure.
Visit the seaside gardens at The House of the Seven Gables for a spectacular view of the water while surrounding yourself in an enchanting garden. While you’re there be sure to not only take the tour, but to visit the other houses, Nathaniel Hawthorne’s birthplace and the gift shop.
Winter Island is the former site of Air Station Salem Coast Guard Base. This historic area offers various attractions from camping, picnic areas, Fort Pickering Lighthouse, Salem Harbor and a public beach. Perfect for spending the day right at the water.
Salem Willows is a terrific spot to kick back and have fun by the water, especially with kids. With an arcade, public beach, a public pier and salt water taffy, popcorn and pizza, the Willows offers a historic and fun for all ages spot to enjoy the water.
With live music on the weekends and amazing views of the water, The Black Lobster is serving up a modern twist fresh seafood menu with an ocean view patio deck.
Salem’s waterfront also offers cruises and more events on the water. For more places and activities to explore in Salem, visit Salem.org.
The Second Annual Salem Willows Seafood Festival is this weekend! Bring your apetite and come on down!
- Seafood Galore! Dozens of vendors serve up their seafood specialties including fresh lobster, homemade chowder, succulent shrimp, fried clams and all the New England Favorites!
- Nonstop entertainment on the Salem Willows Shell featuring the best regional bands around including: Don't Call Me Shirley, Lisa Love Experience and Hooda Thunk!
- Culinary Chef Demonstrations hosted by Wicked Bites & Pat Whitley’s Restaurant Show, showcasing the region’s most famous chefs.
- Kiddie Land with games, face painting and activities.
- Local crafts and merchants.
- Beverage Courtyard serving beer and wine.
Lobster Roll Eating Competition on Saturday at 2:00pm
Spectacular Fireworks display on Saturday at 9:30pm
Lobster Plunge on Sunday at 2:00pm
Non-Stop Bands All Weekend Long!
Friday, July 10
- 12:00 to 1:30pm Hilton Park HILTON PARK is an original acoustic/vocal family trio from New England noted for their earthy, emotionally expressive and superbly crafted Americana, Folk & Blues
- 2:00 to 4:30 Crab Shack Band
- 5:00 to 7:00pm Gretchen and the Pickpockets - An alternative-rock band hailing from New Hampshire and offers a unique blend of sounds. A Boston regional winner and global finalist in the Hard Rock Rising Battle of the Bands.
- 7:30 to 10:00pm Britannica - Britannica is the premier Classic British Rock Band of New England!
Saturday July 11
- 12:00 to 1:30pm Chris Hayes
- 2:00 to 3:00pm Lobster Eating Contest
- 3:30 to 5:30 Freight Train A collection of seasoned musicians based in the Southern Maine and the Northern New Hampshire Seacoast, playing hard-driving (like a freight train) versions of rock classics primarily from the 60s to the present.
- 6:00 to 7:30 Lexi James
- 8:00 to 9:30 Hooda Thunk Band 'Music = Fun, Everything Else is Just Drama'
- 9:30 FIREWORKS!
Sunday July 12
- 11:00 to 1:00pm Chris Cyrus Live Beach Rock
- 1:00 to 3:30pm Lisa Love Band The Lisa Love Experience ~ New England's Multi Award Winning Party Band http://www.lisalovexp.com
- 2:00 Lobster Plunge!!
- 4:00 to 6:00 Random Acts
For more information and to buy tickets online, visit FestEventsNE.com.