Destination Salem Blog

The wreck of the FAME

Schooner FAME of Salem

Today is the 200th anniversary of the wreck of FAME off Nova Scotia. FAME was a successful privateer during the War of 1812, capturing 21 vessels, but her luck ran out in the spring of 1814. Her crew survived the wreck only to be captured and imprisoned.

A 'Chebacco boat,' the original FAME was commissioned as a privateer when war broke out in the summer of 1812. She was the first American privateer to bring home a prize.

The new FAME is a full-scale replica of this famous schooner. Framed and planked of white oak and trunnel-fastened in the traditional manner, FAME is based at Salem's Pickering Wharf Marina, where she takes the paying public for cruises on historic Salem Sound. Aboard the new FAME, passengers learn about the fishermen, privateers, merchants and men of war who shaped our North Shore.

For more info on FAME, visit  Her 2014 season will begin Memorial Day weekend.

Posted by Kate on 03/15 at 08:42 AM Permalink

PEM/PM: An evening of music, cocktails and conversation

PEM/PM Artopia

On Thursday, March 20, the Peabody Essex Museum is open late for PEM/PM, the monthly evening party series free for members and Salem residents.

This month, in collaboration with Salem Arts Festival and Social Palates, PEM showcases Salem's creative scene as local arts groups "take over" the museum. Inspiring activities include creative art making with hula hoops and a spice painting demonstration with the Salem Arts Festival and crafting zines with PEM’s ArtLink participants. Social Palates will offer a social photography “safari” throughout the museum. On view will be highlights from We_Are_Salem, a community collaborative art project, and the work of students in Beverly High School’s  AP Art Program.

The Atrium will also be filled with the sounds of Big Ol’ Dirty Bucket, a dynamic 10-piece funk band, based in Boston, and fronted by powerhouse vocalist Sarah Seminski and Quill, the musical vehicle of Boston-based singer-songwriter and producer Jesse Ciarmataro, who electronically mixes R&B, soul, rap and melodic vocals.

Members and Salem residents FREE | Nonmembers $10 at the door
Cash bar |Special menu from the Hawthorne Hotel

Posted by Kate on 03/14 at 08:00 AM Permalink